When to know to replace old elecrical wiring?
If your house was built more than 40 years ago, then I think it’s time for you to replace old electrical wiring for your safety.
Old wiring – even knob and tube wiring dating back to early 20th century – isn’t inherently dangerous, however unless you were around when the house was built, you don’t necessarily know if the electrical system is up to date.
We need to note that – materials such as wire insulation can deteriorate over time.
Safety issues with old wiring
Faulty wiring is the main cause of residential fires, according to the 2009 study by the National Fire Prevention Association. The older your house is, the greater the chance that old wiring might be outdated or unsafe.
If you’re unaware of the condition of your wiring, call in your local electrician to inspect the electrical system in your house or business. Expect to pay around $150 to $300 for this service.
Another reason to consider replacing the old wiring in a home or business aside from the safety side of things, is that some insurance carriers may refuse to insure houses with older electrical systems or may insist on paying higher premiums.
Warning signs of outdated, old wiring
- Breakers trip or fuses blow regularly
- A tingling sensation when you touch a wall switch, appliance or receptacle
- Dimming and flickering lights
- A burning smell in a particular room or from an appliance
- Discolored outlets and switch plates that are warm to the touch
- Ungrounded outlets throughout the house (ungrounded outlets and accommodate only two-prone plugs)
- A lack of ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlets in your bathrooms, your kitchen, and other areas that may be exposed to damp and wet conditions
- Your house was built more than 40 years ago.